MAYOR: JULIANA KADUYA
AREA TOTAL: 727.79 km2 (281.00 sq mi)
Lilongwe is the capital city of “The Warm Heart of Africa” since 1965 replaced Zomba as the Capital city, where the last government offices were relocated to Lilongwe in 2005. Named after a river inland plains and is one of the biggest cities in Malawi. Lilongwe was a colonial headquarters in 1904. In the 1920s had the introduction of the tobacco industry in the surrounding areas led to development with major roadways signifying the significance as an agricultural market center for the rich and fertile Central Region Plateau.
Dr. Hastings Kamuzu Banda the first President, sort out Lilongwe as an economic growth point for north and central Malawi. The development projects of the 1970s and ‘80s incorporated a new international airport, rail connections to Salima East and to the West Zambian border, industrial areas in the North of the city, and an agricultural program for the fertile tobacco lands. Lilongwe is divided into two centers: the old city, a service, and distribution center and Capital Hill, Malawi government Parliament Building and Foreign Embassies just to mention a few.
Dr. Hastings Kamuzu Banda, ‘The Lion’ was born on 14th May 1898 and ruled from 1961 to 1994, and died on 25th November 1997, aged 99. Located on the Presidential way next to the parliament building. This is the final resting place for Malawi's first President, Dr. Hastings Kamuzu Banda. It is an attraction for both locals and tourists alike. Completed in 2006, the marble and granite mausoleum has four pillars bearing the initials of his most prized principles, ‘Unity’, ‘Loyalty’, ‘Discipline’ and ‘Obedience’ as his portrait embellishes the entrance.
Nkhoma Mountain is located behind Nkhoma Mission Hospital 50 kilometres south-east of Lilongwe.It is often clearly visible from Lilongwe.
Lilongwe Craft Market is located outside the Old Post Office. The marketplace is a tourist attraction for tourist as it offers custom unique woodcarvings, weaving, jewelry and other traditional Malawian antics
Establish in 2008, the Lilongwe wildlife center is Malawi’s first wildlife sanctuary and since then has grown is a notable conservation NGO in collaboration with local and international partners. Lilongwe Wildlife Center tackles conservation challenges, drive long-term social and Institutional change.
P.O Box 31489
T: +265 (0)1789 888
+265 (0) 993 915 550
+265 (0) 887 387 116
F: +265 (0)1789 855